Get involved with UOWN today
UOWN is entirely dependent upon volunteers to accomplish its mission!
Single Day Opportunities
We need volunteers to help us with Monitoring, Outreach, and Education events. Volunteers help us setup, host, or take down our materials and work in staggered shifts of 2 to 3 hours. If you are interested in a single day opportunity, please check out our event calendar and then contact the appropriate committee chair.
Much of the work we do is performed behind-the-scenes in committees. Committees generally meet monthly (although some months may be skipped depending on work load). Contact the committee chair to be included in meetings. The important thing is to show up and take on a task; every bit helps!
The Advocacy Committee monitors Athens-Clarke and Oconee County Commissions, providing feedback and commentary on proposed ordinances. The committee is in need of individuals to undertake one (or more) of the following tasks:
- Sign up for and receive email alerts from the Athens-Clarke County Mayor & Commission, Public Utilities, Transportation and Public Works, Zoning, and the Government Operations Committee. Read the emails and report to the committee if any agenda item is related to the watershed, drinking water system, or waste water system. Note: water can be affected by: zoning changes, environmental regulations, permit applications.
- Sign up for and receive email alerts from the Oconee County Board of Commissioners, Public Works, Planning and Code Enforcement, and Utility Department. Read the emails and report to committee if any agenda item is related to the watershed, drinking water, or waste water system.
- Meet periodically to discuss local legislative agenda item. These meeting might be on short notice until we build up a pattern/structure. Meetings will be quick and concise.
- Help formulate and edit statements of opinion on behalf of UOWN.
- Have or establish friendly, communicative, and respectful relationships with elected and hired governmental/contracted individuals on local, regional, county, and state levels.
- Communicate statements verbally, via mail, email, in-person, social media to decision making individuals.
- Periodically attend public meetings of Athens-Clarke County or Oconee County departments to observe and/or provide comment.
The outreach committee helps us communicate with our members and Athens-Clarke County residents. We maintain websites and pages on social media. The committee also helps organize activities for our members such as paddle trips, exploration of riparian areas, movies, and other social events. We need help with the following tasks:
- Event Photographer: Help document our events. Take pictures and post them to our facebook page. We use these images in our social media postings and on the website.
- Social Media Assistant: UOWN maintains accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. We need help keeping these pages current.
- Event Planners/Organizers: We need help planning and hosting small events for our members. If you have interest in helping or even a specific event in mind please contact email@example.com
Recreation / Water Trails
The water trails committee is working to allow everyone to appreciate the beauty and serenity of the North and Middle Oconee rivers by building canoe/kayak launches along the river. In the near future, the public will be able to safely paddle on the river. This committee needs help with the following:
- Leading paddling trips
- Social media
- Collecting facts for website
- Secretary: Record and post meeting minutes to our google drive. We meet monthly. Help maintain the public calendar.
- Bookkeeper: Enter financial transactions in our register. Reconcile bank statements against the register. Assist the treasurer in compiling quarterly reports. Must be familiar with Quickbooks Online.